Thursday, July 13, 2006

I have been growing so much in the last few months - like crazy. On every level aside from the physical. It's funny how there are seasons like that. Seasons of drought and seasons of rain. Seasons where you feel dried out like nothing's happening and seasons where you learn everything you missed in the dry season seemingly all at once.

Last night I had a funny realization. You must know - lately I've had a lot of "dreams" and scary "daydreams before bed" about scary spiders the size of my head living in my bedroom and trying to eat me (shudder). In a physical sense, that's pretty much impossible unless it was a spider on experimental comic book-like sterioids. In a real sense, however - it's amazing how much damage certain types of spiders can do. The Camel Spider, Flesh Eating Spider, Black Widow... so so small in comparison to me, yet their poisons and capabilities are so harmful.
What I felt like God was showing me is that there are a lot of things in our lives that are seemingly small but effect us in huge ways. Whether it's some sort of TV, music, credit cards, certain friends, karaoke, buffets, I don't know - there are a lot of "poisons" we let in because we see them as small and aren't looking for danger. Everyone has different weaknesses.
I'm hecka never going to live in a hole away from all the world - but what God's been showing me lately is that there are things I have overlooked in my life - especially things like the entertainment I choose (TV, movies, music, etc) that feed negativity and/or temptation into my life. Things I've just about immersed myself in.

"Everything is permissible"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"—but not everything is constructive." 1 Corinthians 10:23

Is it all-out wrong to watch MTV or listen to rap or whatever else you've heard people say? No way, I don't think so. Everyone is weak in different areas, but we are ALL weak in some area. What I need help in learning to do is to weed out what's not beneficial. I don't want only what's permissible - that's not the life for me.

What are the spiders in your life?
Mine (a few): tv, radio, lust, wasting money.